I've been doing a lot of tank maintenance, and this hobby has really grown to the forefront of my attention lately. A while back we picked up a new 29 gal tank for our three comets and since we had the room, we decided to pick up a few more. Some made it through the growing pains of tank maintenance, some didn't. What we have currently is 1 large comet, 1 dojo loach, 1 betta, 3 small comets, and 2 small catfish of indeterminate type.

In the same room is a 250w Metal Halide growing light that I use to propogate mint for our shop. Unfortunately, it also propogates green water. What a frustrating single celled organism. To make matters worse, my limited knowledge of aquariums led me to clearing out most of the beneficial bacteria in the tank, which led to a pretty crazy ammonia spike I'm still trying to deal with. That'll just take time for the tank to cycle. In the mean time, I purchased a UV sterilizer to deal with the algae and it seems to be helping. Just hooked it up yesterday, so we'll see.

As if the one tank wasn't enough, I decided to get into having a planted tank. I love plants normally, so plants underwater should be even better right? RIGHT? Well, the jury is still out on that one, but as you can see in this photo, the little 10g tank is sparsely populated and needs a lot of decorating still. Its a work in progress. That aside, I'm really loving the planted tank. I think I spend more time with it lately than my large tank. Anyway, here's the promised photo.

I'll work on getting a shot of my 29gal tank up as well.

Oh yeah, the planted tank has one comet (that I'll move to the other tank) and one oto catfish. I'm sick of goldfish, so I think on this tank I might go for something like tetras. The plants are micro sword and 2 random bunch plants that I've been trying to identify. EDIT: They are anacharis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Aquarium Addiction

I started this blog to keep a journal of my aquariums. It is quite the addiction once you start. I currently have two tanks, a 10gal and a 29gal, however I can't help but want another one, or two or three. Everywhere I look I'm wondering if I could put an aquarium there.

This blog serves a great purpose. When I do changes to the tanks, I log it here and have a date to look back on when I can't remember when the heck I did something. I highly suggest starting one if you don't blog about your tanks already.

Mike